Marriage License

Licenses issued by our office are valid only for marriages performed within the State of Missouri.

Guidelines for Obtaining a Marriage License

  • Marriage license applications are taken from 8:00 am through 4:00 pm at the Administrative Building, Monday through Friday, except on observed holidays.
  • Both parties must appear together to fill out the application.
  • A valid driver's license or other forms of government-issued photo ID is required. All documents must be in English. You will be required to supply us with your Social Security Number; however, no documentation is required.
  • $51.00 license fee payable by cash or credit cards only. There is a transaction fee charged by the processor for credit cards.
  • The marriage license will be issued immediately upon completion of the application unless the license is being applied for more than 30 days in advance of the wedding date. If this is the case, the application may remain on file in our office for up to six months before the marriage license has to be picked up.
  • Your ceremony can only be performed in the State of Missouri.
  • You will be required to give the name and phone number of the officiant of your choosing at the time of application. This is for clarification purposes only, not to vet the eligibility of the officiant.
  • Previously married applicants will be asked to provide the date their last marriage ended. No documents are required; however, the divorce must have been finalized at least 30 days prior to applying for a new marriage license.
  • If you have questions regarding the online ordination of clergy and/or the legality thereof, please seek legal counsel as we do not make determinations as to the legality of those performing ceremonies (RSMo 451.100).

Visit the Online Marriage Application Website. You both will still need to come into the office during regular application hours to complete, sign, pay for, and pick up the license. You do not have to complete the application online prior to coming to the office, but doing so will speed up the process in the office.

Marriage License Age Requirements

The Missouri Statutes regarding minimum age requirements for issuance of a marriage license have been revised by the legislature.

Chapter 451 451.090. Issuance of license prohibited, when - parental consent when required - proof of age.

  1. No recorder shall issue a license authorizing the marriage of any male or female under sixteen years of age nor shall a license be issued authorizing the marriage of any male or female twenty-one years of age or older to a male or female under eighteen years of age.
  2. No recorder shall issue a license authorizing the marriage of any male or female under the age of eighteen years, except with the consent of his or her custodial parent or guardian, which consent shall be given at the time, in writing, stating the residence of the person giving such consent, signed and sworn to before an officer authorized to administer oaths.

Under-Age Applicants

Applicants under the age of 18 must bring a parent or legal guardian to give consent to the marriage. If the parents are divorced, the custodial parent must present the divorce decree showing proof of custody, as well. The parent must bring a valid form of government-issued photo ID. Under-age applicants must bring their birth certificate along with a valid form of photo ID and their Social Security Number; no documentation is required for the Social Security Number.

Once the marriage license is issued, it is valid for thirty days before expiring (RSMo 451.040).

Marriage License Copy Requests

Proof of your marriage is available upon request in person, by mail, or over the phone.

  • For mail-in requests, include both parties' full names at the time of application, and date of marriage, and $10.00 for a certified copy or $2.00 for a non-certified copy (check, cash, or money order). Include a contact phone number. Mail your request to:
    Recorder of Deeds
    P.O. Box 238
    Liberty, MO 64069
    ATTN: Marriage License Desk
    Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope.
  • To request a copy over the phone, call the office at 816-407-3550, and give both parties' names as they were when the license was applied for. You will give the deputy your credit card information and the copy will be mailed to you along with a copy of your credit card receipt. There is a transaction fee charged by the processor for credit cards.
  • Please be aware that per Missouri statutes, the Recorder of Deeds office issues, records, and maintains Marriage License records, not Marriage Certificates.
  • The certified copy must be purchased from the county where the license was applied for and issued. We cannot supply copies of licenses issued from any other county other than our own. If a couple was married in Clay County, that does not necessarily mean they applied for/purchased the license in this county. The license is good for use statewide.
  • If you cannot locate your marriage record and cannot remember which county you purchased it from, you will have to contact the state at the Missouri Department of Health for a certified Statement of Marriage. You will have to complete an application for the Certified Statement. Once you receive the statement it displays the county of issuance and you will then be able to contact that county for a Certified Copy of your Marriage License. Clicking on the link below will take you to the application with instructions on how to find your marriage record.
  • Application for Missouri Vital Records (PDF)

Performing a Ceremony

Our office does not maintain a list of persons qualified to perform a marriage ceremony. Many applicants search online for an officiant to perform their ceremony. You are responsible for selecting your officiant. Clay County Circuit and Associate Circuit judges DO NOT perform marriage ceremonies.

Per Missouri Revised Statutes Section 451.00 the following are eligible to solemnize a marriage:

  • Marriages may be solemnized by any clergyman, either active or retired, who is in good standing with any church or synagogue in this state.
  • Marriages may also be solemnized, without compensation, by any judge, including a municipal judge.
  • Marriages may also be solemnized by a religious society, religious institution, or religious organization of this state, according to the regulations and customs of the society, institution, or organization, when either party of the marriage to be solemnized is a member of such a society, institution or organization.

Information for Officiants